Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Does Scripture ever overwhelm you?

Does Scripture ever overwhelm you?  It does me.  You know those verse with "always," "never," and "everything."  Here I will give you a few examples of the ones that ALWAYS seem to get me.


1 Thessalonians 5:14-18
We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. 16 Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."


Philippians 2:14-16
"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15 so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain."

Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,"


Ok, so you get the point.  These verse are challenging to say the least.  In reality, these verses are completely impossible.  So, what do you do about such verses.  Do you just do your best to follow them?  Do you convince yourself these verses don't apply to you?  Do you come up with a step by step plan to be successful at obeying these verses? 
Can we do these impossible tasks?

Yes, we can.  Here is the answer to how to be successful.

1.  Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

2.  Luke 1:27 "For nothing is impossible with God."

3.  Romans 8:37 "But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us."

4.  Galatians 5:16 " But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh."

I am so glad that it is not up to me to do the mighty work of the Spirit in my life.  I could never live according to the scripture on my own.  But with Christ in me, I am able to do the Impossible.  What a great and loving God.  I am so thankful He provides the answers for every situation
To really think deep on this topic go to Romans 8 and meditate on it for a day or two.



No comments: