Thursday, May 30, 2013

Do you know what I believe?


This last Monday (Memorial Day), I had the privilege to visit with one of my favorite Vietnam Vets.  This dear friend/relative has always been a joy to visit with.  I met him many years after he served our country.  I did not know him when he came home from that terrible war, but I know from stories of his sons and nephews that he struggled for a long time after that.  By the time I met this man though, he was just another kind and gentle man who enjoyed his family and a good joke.  
This past Monday morning as I walked over to his place, I sat down outside with him.  He was reading the paper, and commented on how much bad news there always is.   This opened a wonderful conversation between the two of us.  As always, I can't help but talk about God and my faith when I am visiting with others.  This gentleman has always made it clear that he is not religious and has some issues when it comes to God.  But I have never experienced any animosity from him.  As we continued to visit, he mentioned that he appreciated that I wasn't one of those religious people that had to be so pushy.  He went on to say he had other religious relatives that every time they saw him asked him if he had repented.  I could tell that his experiences with people of faith had been less than pleasant.  I truly thought a lot about what he said that morning for many days. 

I try and always be myself and live my Christian faith out loud.  I do sometimes share the gospel message boldly, but most of the time I trust that God will use me and my life to be a witness of His great love.  But, I wonder sometimes about all the people I know and love that have not accepted Jesus Christ as the one and only way to eternal life with God.  I wonder have I said enough, done enough, prayed enough.  As I was thinking about all this, a letter I wrote fifteen years ago came to my mind.  God laid it on my heart to write a letter and send it to those I love and care about.  I have kept the original copy of this letter all these years, and I decided I would like to share it with all of you today.  I am not going to edit it from it's original form.  You will see my writing style and ability has improved since then, but the heart of this letter is the same as my heart today.  I hope it blesses you, and if it does that you share it with others.  If it changes your life, please let me know.   Like I told this dear friend on Monday morning, I pray and believe that those I love will all come to Truth and Salvation in Jesus Christ.  I wait for that day when each and everyone will call to say that day has come and that the peace, joy, and hope that is found only is Christ is now theirs.  My hearts desire is to live in eternity with all those God has blessed me to know and love in this short life here on earth.

My letter written in 1998:

This letter is for you from the Lord Our God.
 
This letter is for you, the one who feels unworthy.
 
This letter is for you, the one who says, "I am a good person, I'll go to heaven."
 
This letter is for you, the one who feels empty inside, like something is missing.
 
This letter is for you, the one who says, "there is no God, no heaven, and no hell."
 
This letter is for you, the one who believes in Jesus, but is unsure of your salvation.
 
This letter is also for you, the one who calls yourself Christian.
 
 
 I am writing this letter to encourage, guide, and direct you into the life God wants for you.  God wants you to be blessed and loved.  He wants you to be a part of his family.
 
This is the message God has for you:
 
First, I must share with you that the Bible is God's Word.  It is the key to knowing and finding God's will. 

Now, let me tell you that God sent His one and only son, Jesus Christ, down to earth in the form of a man, to die a horrible death on a cross for all mankind.  Anyone who believes that this is the truth, and confesses that they are a sinner(a person who is no good), can be saved from death.  This is how the Bible says it,
"For God so loved the World that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16 NIV

God loves you so much that he sent his son to earth for you. 
 In Romans 5:8 the Bible says,
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this;  while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
It is also written in Romans 10:9-10,
"if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is LORD,"  and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."
You see Jesus did not just die for you, but he also rose from the dead to prove He was God, the Christ, the only one who can save you from death. 

Now, to you who says, "I am too bad, he could not and will not forgive me for what  I have done."  Let me assure you that Jesus and only Jesus can and will forgive you. 
So, "Believe in the LORD Jesus, and you WILL be saved."  Acts 16:31
You say, but I can't change my ways.  You are right.  Only God can change you, so ask Him to save you, because it is also written,
"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new Creation, the old has gone, the new has come."  2 Corinthians 5:17
 


To you, the one who says, "I am a good person."  You may be a great person, but the Bible says,
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast."
God says,
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  Romans 3:23
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  1 John 1:8-9
So,
"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the LORD."  Acts 3:19
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our LORD."  Romans 6:23

To you the one that feels like something is missing, or your not sure of your salvation in Jesus. 
Jesus says," I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10b
So, "I tell you the Truth, whoever hears my Word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned: he has crossed over from death to life."  John 5:24
So, believe that you are saved and rejoice in the exciting life God has for you.

To you the one who does not believe Jesus is the only savior, or maybe you believe he is okay for those who believe, but you can choose to believe you own way,
Jesus says," I am the Way and the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father (God) except through me."  John 14:6
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."  Acts 4:12
Jesus is the only way to eternal life in heaven with God.

To you who says, "There is no God, no heaven, and no hell."  I will not argue scripture with you.  I simple ask that you be sure in your heart that is what you believe.  Because I believe fully in God, and in His hope, peace, and my faith is firm in Jesus Christ.  I also believe that I am bound for heaven and without Christ's forgiveness I will be headed for hell.  How sure are you that you are right?  I am positive I am, and I want you to share eternity with me.

Now you may have read all this and are still saying, "I have waited too long, God won't take me now."  Or, "Jesus doesn't want me."  You are Wrong.  Jesus says,
 "Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in."  Revelations 3:10
"He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9b
So now that you know Jesus is the son of God, and that he died for your sin, and rose to prove he is God.  What are you going to do?  Are you going to accept His gift?  I hope you will.  You can right now.  Just tell Him you know you are a sinner, that you believe He is God and died for your sins.  Thank him for his gift and become part of His family. 
"Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God."  John 1:12

God has given this letter to me to write to you.  It is not always easy to obey God.  This has been a difficult task for me and I realize by sending this letter to you I may offend you or anger you.  But, I pray that the Lord's Word will speak truth to your heart.  Here is a simple prayer to ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. 

Dear Lord Jesus,
 
I know I am a sinner and need your forgiveness.   I believe you died for my sins.   I want to invite you to come into my heart and make you Lord of my life.  Please, make me your child, a member of your family.  Thank you, Lord.
Amen
 
May the Lord guide and direct your life.
 
In the Lord's service,
Katie

1 comment:

lisa said...

Katie, I remember this letter and I am sure I saved it too..somewhere. :) Thank you for posting it again because each time I read it..something different touches me! I love you!